Wednesday, 3 April 2013

Creative Expressions Sheer Inspiration Blog Hop

Hello and welcome everyone to the Creative Expressions Sheer Inspiration Blog Hop. The Design Team have been looking forward to our first ever hop! As part of the Design Team pack this month we all got to choose 2 sets of Creative Expressions Ribbon to create an innovative/unusual project to share with you all.

Have fun along the hop! If you have come from Trace's blog then you are in the right place.

{My Tattered Flower Sheer Inspiration Heart}



   Don't forget to check Design Team Member Kim Dellow's blog on Friday 5th April for a "special spot prize" .... BUT wait that's not all .... Creative Expressions are generously offering a prize of £15 on each of the DT members blog .... all YOU need to do to enter the giveaways is leave a comment on all 8 of the DT blogs to be in with a chance of winning.The order of the hop is as follows -

       Tracy Evans
      Trish Latimer
       Jean Gursoy
       TraceMetcalfe
     Gillian Simson
       Tracey Laughton
      Shary Nettleship
     Michelle Webb






To create my tattered flower, I started out by cutting different lengths of ribbon from Creative Expressions using Grossgrain Stripe (Black/Ivory) and Silky Crush Ribbon (Pewter)........... also cut a base from cardstock for your flower at this point.


Start layering ribbon strips, once your happly with your placement, secure using a hot glue gun.


Once secure start cutting into the ends randomly giving a frayed look.


Next I painted a large heart from Wendy Vecchi's Sweetheart Frames Art Parts Set using Distress Paint (Antique Linen)


Once dry, cover with Tim Holtz Ideaology Tissue Wrap using Rangers Glue N Seal Medium (Matte)


Use Distress Paint (Pitch Black) around the edges


Next stamp Sam Pooles A6 Chicken Wire stamp using Distress Paint (Fired Brick)


Lastly I stamped the word "Love" from the Damask Heart Singles Stamp collection with Distress Paint (Pitch Black).


For the centre of the tattered flower I used a Wendy Vecchi "Embellish Your Art" Antique Round Button embellishment.


I hope you have enjoyed stopping by my place as you work through the DT blogs .... Your next stop on the blog hop is Tracey

I will select one winner from the comments left on this post using Random.Org on Sunday. Winners will be announced on the Creative Expressions Blog on Monday 8th April .... Good luck everyone.

151 comments:

Michelle Webb said...

Brilliant Gillian, love the heart and the flower. I'm loving the stamping and paints. Gorgeous.Michelle x

Kaz said...

Oooo very gorgeous Gillian love the added ribbon x

Unknown said...

What an unusual creation but very useful for using up oddments of ribbon as well, thank you. Regards Jackie D

baconbits said...

Morning
What a wonderful project and such clear instruction, will pop back to do more that speed read, would make a lovely wedding favour.
Not sure i could fray my ribbon though i love it too much - but will just have to take the plunge.
TFS
Amanda x

auscrafts said...

gorgeous work ,love the ribbon flower

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love your tattered flower Gillian and I love that you have a heart as the backdrop. The touches of red are lovely. Great make. Tracy x x

Jackie T said...

I am enjoying this blog hop very much. I will be having a go at making a flower like this.Thanks Jackie

Pinksparklegirl said...

I love. This project and seeing as I have just a few bits (ahem) of silky cruch I may have to try this. Thanks for sharing

Lacelady said...

Love what you have done with the heart and the tattered ribbon flower. Very inventive.

nzillingworth said...

Like the hints of colour. Dont need to use a lot to create. Thanks for the ideas

Unknown said...

Very clever, I love seeing all the cool techniques, thanks

Sheila - Ginger said...

Oh I love this wall hanging and it would make a great gift. Love how you have made the flower to and thanks for the tut.

Love Sheila xx

Jen Shep said...

Love the shabby chi look to this and am loving the different ways to use the ribbons

Sharon said...

Beautiful project and tut for the tattered flower xx

Anonymous said...

Fabulous project. Love the ribbon but have now seen it in a new light.The Wall hanging would be lovely in anyones home. Love Helen

Unknown said...

love this,so imaginative
Hilary

Elaine said...

That stripey grosgrain ribbon looks so useful - an essential item in the room of stash me thinks! Great project!

Cinders61 said...

So far I have not really used ribbon on my projects but I can see from this project how easy it is to mix two different sorts of ribbon to create a lovely effect. Gillian x

Maggie said...

Creative ideas and a whole different way of looking at using ribbon. So clever and the finished piece is stunning. Well done.

Maggie said...

This is a really good idea and another wonderful example of the fabulous ribbon. Well done.

Helen said...

What an incredibly different way to use ribbon! I love it - it's beautiful, Gillian!!

Inkypinkycraft said...

A great make love the wayvyouvhave used the ribbon cool colours too hugs trace x

Fieldsend said...

Love mixes media but not really done a lot and loved what you have done.

Rgds
June x

lilygee said...

Really unique piece. Love it. Jean x

Lin said...

love your project it is stunning...that flower is great!!

Unknown said...

Lovely idea! I like the use of colour.

Unknown said...

so many ideas in one project

granny sue said...

A very different, but striking flower. Thanks for sharing. SueL

Helen said...

Love how your ribbon flower has a spikey look, and love all the elements you have used on this heart!

Unknown said...

An excellent colour combination

Angela D said...

Cute heart, love the colours you used.

Linda said...

Hi Gillian,
Your tattered flower heart is gorgeous. Love the way you've made the flower, very pretty. thanks for sharing. Linda xx

Anonymous said...

Fabulous project Gillian ! Loving all the different ways to use ribbon ! Sue C x

lydia jordan said...

Great project, loving the blog hop.
Lydia

lydia jordan said...

Lovely project with great instructions. Loving the blog hop.
Lydia

Helen said...

Great project, love the flower xx

Margaret Ann Moffat said...

oooh need to try this, very effective using the striped ribbon, makes it pop

hollyberry said...

Love this and yet again a very different way to use the ribbon.Thanks for the tutorial and inspiration.

lydia jordan said...

Beautiful project.
Lydia

Linda Simpson said...

A fabulous way to make an embellishment for the fabulous heart. Love this style of flower too. Thank you fro sharing.

Hugs
Linda xxx

JayBe said...

Great project, Gillian - love how you used the ribbon on your project. Thanx for the chance to win in the hop.
Hugz, Jan xx

andrea said...

Stunning I love that ribbon
Andrea

wendy vecchi said...

this is a sweetheart of a project!

Tracy Heaton said...

Great project. I NEED that chickenwire stamp lol

Ian said...

What a beautiful wall hanging. Looking at ribbon, as not just for wall art is inspiring

Ian x

darcydaydream said...

Great project...I do love a wall hanging...
Christine in Darcy....x

Caroleecrayon said...

Love the ribbons have lots myself, your project has inspired me to do some different

Jeannie said...

What a lovely project, it's something I would like to make for my grand-daughter's bedroom.
Jeannie xxx

craftycarol said...

Hi Gillian,
Love your project its a great way to use this lovely ribbon.
Carol x

Caroleecrayon said...

Loving the blog hop, great way to use ribbons well done and thank you for sharing

Caroleecrayon said...

thanks for sharing your beautiful project

Lesley sinclair said...

Hi Gillian wow what a great project and I love how you've made the flower will definitely be giving this a go.thanks for the ideas love Lesley x

CraftyJo said...

Another great idea, thanks for sharing.

The Sparkly Fairy said...

Love the ribbon on the heart - great idea and loving the blog hop!

Mrs B said...

What a pretty flower, lovely.

Unknown said...

This is a lovely flower...clever idea!

Karen

http://frayedroundtheedges.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

This is a lovely flower...clever idea!

Karen

http://frayedroundtheedges.blogspot.co.uk/

CraftingMum said...

Love the heart and the flower, beautiful design, Louise x

slowef said...

Cool :-) I so need to get those masks!!

Lynne said...

great flower - love the way you created it.
Best wishes.
lynne in Spain

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous !

Paper Paradise said...

Hearts are just so versatile. I love the way yo have embellished it with a chunky flower. What a brilliant piece of wall art!

Sioux P said...

lovely combination of ribbons makes such a lovely flower to put on a lovely project,

Gems Inky antics said...

This is a lovely project Gillian. The heart is gorgeous in itself but the flower really make it pop, I love it x

MRS DUCK said...

The things you can do with ribbon eh? Very pretty. Thanks for showing us.

Pat L said...

Really like your tattered flower getting lots of inspiration today, thank you

Sandra said...

Gillian your tattered flower is simply stunning, i love it!
I m si excited to have found all of these new blogs!
I was totally blown away as i browsed through your projects!
You are a very inspirational lady, thank you!
Crafty hugs
Sandra Riley

MagsB said...

Wow, I love the texture on the ribbon flower! Thanks so much for sharing the instructions. What a gorgeous heart!

love Mags B x

Glass Daisy said...

Love the flower.
Sonia x

Carol Q said...

gorgeous Gillian. i love the black edging.

Ita said...

Hi Gillian what a fab., project it has given me ideas to work out side my comfort zone
Smiles
Ita

TDQ Karen said...

Love how you have made the flower, what a great project xxi

Lucy Edmondson said...

This is great, Gillian!

Lucy x

Anonymous said...

Fabulous project I love how you've used your ribbon and I will enjoy trying this out thanks
Hugs x
Heather T

Anonymous said...

Love this heart, what a fabulous project

Trulyblessed said...

Wow wow wow. This is wonderful.

Britt said...

This is a different use of ribbon, would not have thought of using it like that, very effective. Brittx

crafty lady said...

Hi Gillian
I love your tattered flower heart it's gorgeous would be good to make with grandson for Mother's Day or birthday presents or even to decorate the Christmas tree. Great instructions thanks for sharing with us.

Hugs
Fiona P
xxx

Gill said...

I love this Gillian! I'd like to make one too!
Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

My Niece would love this for her birthday....better get at it

Carol B

smag53 said...

Another gorgeous design from a very talented lady.
Thank you for sharing.
Sheila H.xx

Trish said...

Fab project- love it. TFS
Hugs,
Trish

Silvia(Barnie) said...

So wonderful, such an amazing heart.

melanie said...

your Heart design if fantastic the flower looks great thanks for sharing .Melanie

Ann said...

Gorgeous flower Gillian & of course a superb hanging gift too!! TFS all the deets on how to make one & your wonderful inspiration too :D
Hugs, Ann xxx

melody said...

It's incredible the amount of uses you have all found for the ribbon.x

carol edwards said...

Hello Gillian I really like this project and the instructions are so clear. Going to give this one a try Thank You

xxcalamityxx said...

So pretty, I see wall art and plaques decorating my house very soon thanks to your fabulous instructions !! xhugsx Nikki

Donna Jones said...

Hi Gillian,

Love the different ribbons in your tattered flower and the partial over stamping on the heart, a beautiful hanging piece of art :-)

Donna Jones

Dawn Louise said...

Love it all, the tattered flower is very clever and striking, thanks for sharing this idea and your finished piece, inspired x

Unknown said...

Love the project!! Ax

Jan said...

Hi Gillian, loving the heart and flowers, could do with some heart in my new craft room. Thanks for the idea. Love Jan x

Aileen said...

A really different idea for using ribbon! Would be lovely as a door hanger for your craftroom
Aileen xx

Aileen said...

Hi a really different way to use ribbon. The whole project would make a lovely doorhanger for your craftroom
Aileen xx

hazel young said...

Love this idea of just using bits of ribbon ideal for an offcuts you may have lurking in the bit box xx hazel

catherine said...

Such a great project and fantastic idea. love the effects and colours
x catherine

Barbara said...

Very pretty heart, love the flower!

Rocky said...

That cross-grain ribbon is just SO gorgeous and I love what you've done with it.

Fuchsia said...

Fabulous Tattered flower it goes so lovely with the heart
Thank you x

Unknown said...

Going through all the blogs I am finding wonderful projects to try. Will call back after I have completed the Blog Hop.

Wilma xx

Unknown said...

Seeing all your creations on this hop is a real eye opener!

Unknown said...

This blog hop is such an eye opener! Such different talents.

Lisa said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!! I love how you used the ribbon - so creative and fabulous!! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

suzieq23 said...

Love the ribbon flower on the heart. Looks really nice and great instructions. Thanks.

ljrhew said...

I love the way you designed this. Very creative.

Craftynanny said...

Love the way you've done the flowers, got a heart I wasn't sure what to do with this would be great, thanks x

Jane said...

What a fabulous heart you created, thanks for sharing how you make it, so very clever x

Nananne said...

Loving all the projects, must try this flower very unusual!

Caroline said...

Oh wow!! I love that the hop has made me land on your blog, just the kind of art I like to do & learn more about. Will join after hop for more.
Thank you for step by step, especially the flower as I struggle in this area. The paints & stamps & stenciling is just brilliant! Love all of it & I only waffle on like this when truly inspired. Great job! :)

Astrid Maclean said...

What a fun piece Gilly, love what you did with the ribbon!

Kim Dellow said...

totally gorgeous Gillian! Love the flower and the lovely background too. Beautiful. Kimx

lorraine (classylady) said...

Gorgeous this is my type of crafting. So glad Creative Expressions did this hop as I am finding so many new fantastic blogs.

regards
lorraine - scotland

shazzeranna said...

Stunning x

Disco Queen said...

Hi Gillian, Great canvas. Yet another reason to get even more of this gorgeous ribbon. Thanks for sharing. Theresa x

ria gall said...

Another great use of the ribbon a lovely flower that looks great on the decorated heart.
Ria

Debbie said...

Another great dea....no wonder you have "design team " status!

gwen70 said...

Love your tattered flower heart and the way you have created it all

Josephine said...

Fabulous project - love how you've used the masks.

Jean Z said...

Hi Great use of the ribbon just love it Jean Z xx

Vick said...

Hi Gillian,

Such a lovely project this is, I love it and love your blog, so will be stopping in on you now and again!! Love this hop, hugs, Vick xx
the-artful-codger.blogspot.com
My YTChannels vixcrafts & saturatedcanary

Julia S-W said...

Such a beautiful heart and flowers! I love the stamping and the use of paints too.

Words and Pictures said...

Such a fab background, and the grosgrain ribbon is so dramatic - makes for a great central rosette - wow!
Alison x

Joy said...

Thanks for all the lovely inspiration, a beautiful project. Joy

Jan. said...

Inspired me to try something different to the usual card making. Full of inspiration

Janice

Rossella said...

This is lovely, very involved and interesting.
Rosie x

yorkielass said...

Hi Gillian, A beautiful project, love the heart and flowers, the stamping is stunning and love the ribbon.
Crafty hugs June x

bluelesley said...

Wow, absolutely love this and love your Blog!,, love this kind of art, will be back for a better look round.. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

Stunning project and great tutorial. This might be a project that I can even attempt myself. TFS,

Michelle x

Megan's Little Piece of Heaven (LPH) said...

Very inspirational you are sontalented

Rachel Taylor said...

I love anything like this , i love the chicken wire stamping too
Rachel x

Linda49 said...

This looks so good. Instructions easy to follow.

Jenny Marples said...

Love the idea of combining the ribbons to create the flower. Hugs, Jenny x

Jassy said...

A stunning piece of art, thanks for sharing xx

Pamela said...

I love the color combination of the pinky background and the black and white stripes. This is striking!

Nicola said...

I have definitely enjoyed stopping by your crafty place Gillian, love your tattered flower heart and your wonderful tutorial, thank you. xx

Canonbury creations said...

A great piece of home decor loving the tattered ribbon flower:)
Val x

Ita said...

Hi Gillian fantastic projecs,love the way you used the ribbons
Smiles
Ita

Cazzy said...

I love your heart, no really! I really want to get all the stamps, ribbon and papers!

magpie said...

Hi Gillian, I love your tattered flower heart, it's beautiful. What another great way of using ribbon. I love this! xx Love Karen xx

Nan G said...

Fabulous piece! Love the flower.

Jackie said...

Your project is stunning. Love it. Jackie x

The Taming of the Glue said...

The flower is fab..love the heart plaque

CreativSpirit said...

So beautiful, love the striped ribbon.

Pat said...

Love the tattered flower. I can see lots of possibilities for this. Thank you for sharing the tutorial.
Pat x

Unknown said...

This is fabulous love it! Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

What a great flower and so easy to make

Unknown said...

Love your tattered flower, very clever idea x

Carol Plume said...

Nice piece really liking those heart shapes

nattyboots said...

Love the fact i could use up all my ribbon cut offs , such a good idea ,Thank you for sharing

Elaine H X

Aurora said...

Gorgeous and such a quick make.x

Annette said...

What a good idea, such a good idea